Employment & Income Assistance Programs
Income Assistance Program
The KFN Income Assistance Department is led by an administrator and committee. It processes applications for income assistance based on social program policies from Indigenous Services Canada.
Kahkewistahaw Members who are experiencing financial struggles and having difficulty providing for their basic needs may be eligible to use the Income Assistance program. It is meant to be a temporary and last resort only. Every month, approximately 115 Kahkewistahaw Members receive income assistance of about $255.
The Department also helps clients to receive additional funding for special circumstances such as disability assistance, dietary needs and infant support.
Enhanced Services Delivery (ESD)
While KFN Members are receiving income assistance, they are expected to seek employment, and/or to enroll in education or training that will enhance their employability. The Income Assistance Department provides encouragement and assistance as required.
Criteria to qualify for the program:
- Must be between 18 – 24 years of age,
- Residing on-reserve within Yorkton Tribal Council Jurisdiction, and
- In receipt of Federal Income Assistance.
ESD programming includes any training or client support that removes barriers for ESD clients to become either, employed, or enter into an education/training program through either First Nations Job Fund, Labor Force Development, Post – Secondary or other means of Training Support. ESD Has identified a number of client supports that are available for ESD Clients to access:
- Adult upgrading -ABE 10/12 & GED 12.
- Lifeskills/Workplace Essentials Programming (WESS)
- Safety Tickets – client(s) must have identified this in their MAP and show direct link to employment.
- Drivers License – 6/6 driver training
- DWI – Driving while impaired
- Pardons – regarding criminal chargers, the initial fee which would support the clients fee for applying for a pardon.
- Emergency funds regarding job interviews
- Emergency funds regarding childcare support.
Please feel free to contact Income Assistance regarding questions or if you need more information about our programs.